Search This Blog

Sunday, August 3, 2025

Random Autobiography

 

I was the expected

December baby 

Who was delivered unexpectedly

In November;

A whopper in spite of this

A staggering ten pounds ten ounces.

My mother forgave me

I still haven’t.

∞

I’ve seen towns and cities 

With a tourist’s eye

And more as a guest worker

As I hot bedded 

In a Copenhagen apartment

Equipped for six

All eighteen of us

From the Liberties

And taking liberties.

∞

In Moscow

Before the Wall came down

I was a delegate of 

Dublin Trades Council

Waving the flag there

Among Eastern Slavic men

Grey haired and grey faced

Ringing the death knell




Of International Communism.

∞

I’ve cradled baby rabbits

In my arms

And flushed dead goldfish 

Down toilet bowls

Rubbed donkeys’ muzzles

In Connemara

And taken their bites.

∞

I have witnessed the passing

Of great people

Mainly my own

Granny Lizzie

Was buried 

On the same day as Churchill

We stood at her grave;

My father followed 

Much too young;

My mother’s leaving 

Wounded me most

Long evenings 

In St James’ Hospital

As she sang

And I hummed 

The songs of her childhood.




I married

(Only the once so far)

And my current wife

First filled my heart

And then my arms

With a beautiful child.

∞

I’m called Grandad now

By two darling girls

One ten 

One six

Who think me a wonder

But that won’t last.

∞

I’ve felt snow on my face

In the month of June

And heard thunder rumble

Over Icelandic volcanoes.

I’ve scoured market stalls

For knickknacks

And bought a tie

On Avenue Louise

I have since bought

A full suit for less.

∞

I’ve done this and more

And still have 

Much more to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment