Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Where I'm From... Going back to an old one for a little tidy up today

I'm from neat terraces

The New State's first houses

With gardens and yards

And spaces to play

And underground tunnels

And the sweet smell of tobacco

From the Players Wills factory

And pealing church bells all

Sunday long

I'm from Community Care

And clips on the ear

From the nearest grown up

When I did something wrong

I'm from May Marian processions

And convent girls in communion dresses

And pipers on the Coombe

Playing lonesome laments

I'm from stories of hardship

And tenements left behind

And hopes for a republic 

And hopes that had died

I'm from all of these places 

And people and lives

The encouragement of some

And the punishment of Pride

A ghost of a past that visits with me

I'm from a Liberty

I was born free


No comments:

Post a Comment